Unfortunately, cycling accidents happen more often than we would like to think. Many crashes leave people with serious and long-lasting injuries. Although any accident involving a bicycle can end badly, those involving cars are often much worse, resulting in serious injuries and extensive property damages. After an accident, it is important to keep track of important aspects that could help you in the future of your case.
What to do after a bike accident
- Wait until the police arrive — It is important to get a written report of what happened and all injuries and damages written down; small injuries at the moment can lead to bigger problems in the future.
- Make sure your version of events gets into the police report — This is especially important in accidents involving a motorist, sometimes police will only take the motorist’s statement and it is vital to have both sides of the story.
- Get the contact information of the other half of your accident — A police report might not always include this information but it is important to know who the other party was. If they were at fault, their insurance company should pay for expenses, not yours.
- Document what happened and your injuries — Make sure to keep a mental record as things are happening and then write it all down as soon as you can.
- Don’t fix your stuff — Don’t repair your bike, don’t wash your clothes, don’t clean your shoes. It is vital to your case to keep the evidence untampered with until the situation is resolved.
When you may need a personal injury lawyer after a bike accident
Just like car accidents, every bicycling accident is different and things can get complicated quickly. If you have been in a cycling accident that resulted in you sustaining injuries and your bike being seriously dinged up, maybe even destroyed it might be wise to hire a personal injury lawyer.
A lawyer can help you figure out your legal options and advise you on how to proceed in your case. If you decide to proceed, your lawyer can communicate and negotiate with the insurance companies and represent you in a lawsuit if it comes to that.
When you may not need a personal injury lawyer after a bike accident
Not all accidents require a personal injury lawyer. If you were in a cycling accident where you were not harmed, your property was not damaged, you’re not looking for compensation or the accident was your fault, it is not advised to hire a personal injury lawyer.
Please reach out to Larson and Gallivan Law, PLC if you have been in a bicycle accident, we are here to help!
Call Today! (802) 327-8458